We first made this cocktail for a Christmas Eve party. It was inspired by a cocktail in Southwest Airline’s inflight magazine created by mixologist Cari Hah. Although we made it for a specific holiday, it is now a frequently requested house favorite all year round.
If you don’t mind a little silliness, one of the attendees of the original party captured the drink being made on cell phone video and created this clip for us:
For those who prefer written directions. See below.
- Put 1-1/2 oz of Deep Eddy Vodka in a shaker
- Add 3/4 oz of Cranberry-Pomegranate-Cinnamon Syrup*
- Add 3/4 oz of Fresh Lime Juice
- Shake with ice for 10-15 seconds
- Strain into a double rocks glass full of ice
- Top with Bundaberg Ginger Beer (don’t stir)
- Top again with Ginger Foam**
- Garnish with a mint leaf and pomegranate seeds (opt.)
- Put 1-1/2 cups of cranberry juice in a pan
- Add 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- 2-1/2 cups of sugar
- 10-12 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- Bring to a boil
- Remove from heat immediately
- Allow to cool completely
- Strain out cinnamon
- Refrigerate with 1/2 oz of vodka
Note: This syrup is almost identical to the one we used for “The Contortionist” in the house cocktail book. But we add a bit more cinnamon.
As we mentioned in the book, you do not want simmer this syrup because the fruit juices will break down. Bring it to a boil quickly, then remove it from the heat and let the cinnamon steep until the syrup is completely cool to transfer more flavor.
- Put 1 cup of ginger juice in a pan
- Add 1 cup of sugar
- Stir over LOW heat until combined
- Put 1 cup of the mixture in an ISI Whipper
- Add 2 oz of water
- 1/2 cup of egg white
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using